Ok, again and again we come back to the Zhitomir archive for different reasons:
1. All the Kiev’ archives are closed till the beginning of September. They have their usual Summer Vacations. We are waiting till they are open and free to research in other archives meanwhile.
2. We have plenty of current clients. The researches for them are based on Zhitomir archives. For now, we should research so many settlements and small villages which were at Novograd-Volynsk gubernia so long time ago: Narodich, Ovruch, Kovel, Lyubar, Krasnostav, Berezdov, Korets etc… All the documentation for them is located at Zhitomir archive.
3. Zhitomir is a part of our own very important project: Making of Overall Jewish Database. What does it mean? In short words that means that we want to collect ANY Jewish Family names which you possibly could find at the Ukrainan archives. In future we see it like this: to find any of your Jewish ancestor form Ukraine from 1795 till 1920 you’ll need just type the surname at the online database field, click on a Search button and gat the result – where and how you can find it or get the full information… Does it sound nice?
So, all the written above is for the near (I hope so) future. But for now we travel to different archives and collect the information. The working flow is simple to describe, but not so simple to make. Now we collect information for our database from such Jewish Genealogical resources (including well-known and any rare source we could find) such as:
– Any Census Tales / Revision Lists 1795-1875
– Russian Empire Population Census 1897
– Army/recruits record
– Notary books
– Tax books
– Police funds (of Russian Empire) book
– Metrical books (Births records, Deaths records, Marriages records, Divorces records)
– Pogroms materials
– and so many other documentation which could be found at all of the Ukrainian archives.
Today, at Zhitomir, we collected the Jewish Family names directly from the Opis’es/registration lists of the Notary books. Here I can provide the example of such a book:
«Fond 27 – Zhitomir Notary, Filippov Ivan Nikolaevich; Zhitomir city, Volyn gubernia; Opis 1; 1901-1903 years; 1431 records »
And in fact, among all the notary records from only this case, the HALF of the records is related to the Jews! And we collect their Family names. And this is worthless Jewish Genealogy material…